Monday, May 11, 2009

Back to work today

Today was my first day back to the health care campus where my dad was a resident. Dad passed away May 1st, he was 81 and had Alzheimer's. When I say "back to work", I actually mean back to volunteering. I am currently unemployed (except for selling Stampin' Up!) and looking for work.

I volunteer two days a week at the health care campus and it is a great place. My daughter also works there (she is actually employed there). I enjoy my time there and I get to do various tasks. I have made phone calls to obtain information, visited with the residents doing one on one visits, helped with various activities, helped in the dining room at lunch and even conducted scrap booking activities.

The scrap booking activities started in April for National Craft month. The first time I took in various scrapbooks I had made and some my daughter had made. From there scrapbook sessions were scheduled and we made paper bag scrapbooks and completed a squash book. We had a great time and some residents even put pictures in their scrapbooks.

This week we are going to decorate a paper bag with fabric shapes that can be used as gift bags, hung up for decoration or used to hold special items.

Today when I returned I took the Thank you cards that I made along with donuts to say Thanks to the nurses and aides who lovingly cared for Dad. They took excellent care of him and showed such compassion. They treat all residents with compassion, kindness, love and dignity. I just wanted to give them a small token of our (my 1 sisters and I) appreciation for their care.

The greatest thing for me today was to hear that I was missed, not just the assistance I provide, but me. How great is that! How uplifting.

Please let someone you know how much they mean to you today. You will certainly make their day.

No comments: