Thursday, March 12, 2009

What's Worse than Toothache Pain?

Nothing, that I can remember. I have had toothache pain for the second day now. Called my dentist today and have an appointment at 9:30 tomorrow to have it looked at. Am currently taking ibuprofen and Tylenol for pain and an antibiotic for the infection.
I was taking straight ibuprofen and getting about 1.5 hours of relief. Today I was told that switching the pain medication back and forth would help and that advice was right on. I have been pain free for up to 3.5 hours at a time.
Can't wait to see what happens tomorrow. Of course if is infection causing the pain, nothing can be done until the infection is gone and that will be close to 5 days. However the pain will slowly go away as the infection is clearing.
I have no clue what this visit will cost, with no job and no dental insurance it is very scary but has to be done.
I did look up a home remedy and found a few. One was garlic and rock salt. I don't have rock salt but did try the garlic and it worked okay. I also used ice which really helped it. Heat was not an option as that spreads infection (just learned that today also).

Well, I know this post is short but toothaches are no fun.

UPDATE: I woke up Friday morning and the right side of my face was swollen. I had started an antibiotic the Dentist prescribed for me. If you are allergic to penicillin there is a 5% chance you are also allergic to this medicine. However, I had been taking it, so decided to continue it. With the swelling, I got concerned but my dentist said the swelling was due to an abscess and I have continued it. This morning it doesn't appear to be any better and I have called the dentist and left a message. I will wait until noon and if he doesn't call me I will call him at home. I thought the swelling should be going down by now, but it doesn't seem to be.

1 comment:

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Sorry to hear about your toothache!!! I hope it gets better soon! I know how painful it can be!!
blessings,
Chris