Tuesday, March 17, 2009

First Cake Attempt


I ended up not making it to the 2nd class due to my tooth issue. I did make a Tigger cake but just iced it plain. Today I decided to make a round cake and try out the icing technique we were shown. Well, it might take a little practice as the sides of my cake definitely show lines where I iced and did not smooth it out. My icing must have been too soft this time as it didn't set well. Also when I tried to smooth it out using a paper towel, I definitely learned what the teacher was saying about the towels. Mine has an imprint on it and they need to be smooth. The icing did set up okay but I really didn't ice the cake as smooth as I should have.

My icing was too soft so when I attempted to make roses, they were a little wobbly. I also tried to make leaves and they didn't turn out so well. I was pulling the tip away from the cake to form the leaf but it didn't end in a point, so my roses look like they have ferns for leaves.

This Friday will be the second class where we do hands on decorating and I am going early to see what I missed last week.

I will be baking another cake for class and it will be a 9" round cake. I will pay closer attention when I make the icing as well.

One thing I have learned is that the pan grease recipe we were given works great. You make it ahead of time and store it in the fridge till needed. I don't think it goes bad, you probably use it up first. I am sure I have at least 4 more cakes to make for class and maybe more if practice doesn't go well.

Hopefully I will be able to post a picture of my first cake here. Please be kind if you leave comments.

1 comment:

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

What a fun class to take!!! This is beautiful!!!