Saturday, March 7, 2009

Cake Decorating

I have always wanted to learn to decorate cakes and last night I attended my first class to do just that. Since 1980 I have used the Wilton cake pans to make character cakes for my kids. My first cake was Cookie Monster and he turned out pretty good. While I enjoy the character cakes and have done quite a few, I really want to learn how to do the roses, fancy borders, etc. I don't think I'll ever be a professional, but I would like to make my cakes look more professional.

The first class was more about what you need for the class and what you will learn. This week I will be baking a character cake to take to class next Friday. I will probably do that Thursday. In class we were given a cake recipe and an icing recipe that we will use throughout this class.

I haven't yet chosen the cake pan I will use, but I have many (cookie monster, dinosaur, car/jeep, etc.) I am also going to invest in Wilton cake pans and this week make my family a two layer cake. We were shown how to ice a cake last night and I want to practice. The technique is so simple yet produces fantastic results.

Stay tuned to this post as I will be posting pictures of my class projects. Yes, you will see the attempts, failures and hopefully successes.

For my next class I have to make my cake, prepare my icing (which I found can stay in my fridge for up to 6 wks if stored properly) and buy the rest of my supplies.

If you would like to learn more about cake decorating and you have a Hobby Lobby close by, please check out their Wilton cake decorating courses. My course was only $17.50 as they were having a half off special. I purchased my Wilton Course I kit at 40% using the internet coupon I get through email and I heard that next week all Wilton supplies will be 40% off, so I can get the rest of my class supplies.

No comments: