Sunday, August 17, 2008

Cleaning the Fish Pond

Yesterday we cleaned our fish pond which has needed a good cleaning for a few weeks. It was being taken over by moss and we couldn't see the fish.
This year we started the pond with 3 small pond fish purchased at Walmart. We added 2 more in July that were given to us by a friend from work.
Imagine how surprised we were to learn our pond now contains 31 fish of varying ages. After cleaning the pond and replacing the water, we placed the original 5 fish back in the pond (1 looks as if she's pregnant now) and 12 of the babies that appear to be thriving. The remaining babies are being kept in a tank so they can be monitored since they do not appear to be doing too well.
Our pond is not large enough for 31 fish and the 17 we have in there now will be too many as the 12 continue to grow. I am going to call around and try to donate some of the smaller ones so all will have a better chance of survival.
The pond was created in the summer of 2006 and we had 3 fish given to us by the same friend who gave us the 2 this year. Those original fish survived the winter of 2006 and 2007 but died in the Spring of 2008. I believe it was due to our weather where it would get warm and then cold again and they just couldn't keep up with the changes.
We have also added some ferns and flowers to the pond which we will be transplanting later this week-they are in pots right now. They were given to us as the garden store felt they were on their last leg. However Tanner has nursed them back to health and they are now ready to be planted around the pond.
We have several hostas around the pond and they are growing. We've had those since the summer of '06. I wanted some of the tall grass plants to put behind the pond but haven't found any that I want to purchase at this time. I would also like to add a small fence accent behind the pond at some point.
I am getting ready to clear a spot to put lawn furniture so we can enjoy the pond more. This is probably the first year I have taken an interest in making more of an "outdoor seating area". I think it has a lot to do with my retirement in July and how the priorities in my life have changed.
I find I am becoming more focused on family and home than in the past where I thought work was most important. My priorities were really misplaced and they are now God, family and home. I am looking forward to concentrating on these priorities more and improving in all areas.

No comments: